Sunday 20 September 2009

Knowing Hyeonmi ...



A love for adventure brought us together to Cedar Point, Ohio in summer 1999. I can still remember vividly the taste of shoju and homemade kimchi and our first chatting session that hot summer night. I had my first taste of shoju and we both emptied at least 3 bottles of shoju and plates of kimchi that evening and shared our life stories and stories we heard. Then we both had our little love stories from Cedar Point. It was a summer we will never forget and only we know why.

Our following rendezvous was not until 4 years later. Hyeonmi visited me in Shanghai, both still puzzled in life with what life had prepared ahead for us, both still missing our summer love stories. I then visited Hyeonmi in Seoul, a graduation trip for me from ending a phase of my life. 6 days of Seoul, it felt so refreshing and yet so homely. My first taste of what has become one of my favourite dishes of all time, Soon dubu; and Korean BBQ, Army Stew, Samgaetang etc. Thanks to my friend, also my sister. Then subsequent visit to London from Hyeonmi and a wedding in Kuala Lumpur, and just a week ago, Hyeonmi's wedding in Seoul.

When I heard about the wedding, I was happy and worried and nervous for her. Happy as I know she has been happy since she met Jooho, worried as I wasn't sure for her, but hey, who is ever sure? Nervous as this is such a big step. I couldn't hide my excitement for her, the wedding, the moving in together and most of all, the rendezvous again!

It was such a beautiful day. The weather was perfect, Jooho was ever so sweet and adorable. They were so happy together. Of course before the wedding, Hyeonmi shared with me some unhappy episodes she had, which made it extra meaningful for me, when Jinju and I were there watching the ceremony and listening to their vows to each other. It was a simple, true and elegant wedding.

I know Hyeonmi has now found a life companion and I know that she is in 'safe hands' of Jooho. I am thankful for having met a true friend and thankful for her inspiring adventures and photographs. As I am typing they are now enjoying their last honeymoon moments in Croatia. I just want to wish for the very best for Hyeonmi & Jooho for every step they take together as life companions for each other. Looking forward to our next rendezvous!

No comments:

Post a Comment